4-H MEMBERSHIP POLICY
Enrollment Deadline Policies
In general, youth members and volunteers may enroll in 4-H any time during the program year. However, please keep this following in mind:
- Youth MUST enroll by December 31st to be eligible to show at fair.
- Youth may not participate in any 4-H activities until they are fully enrolled in 4-H.
- Adult volunteers may not lead any activities until they are fully enrolled in 4-H.
- Some 4-H clubs, projects, and activities have limited space, and enrollment is done on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you do not complete your enrollment in a timely manner you may lose your spot in your preferred group.
If you have any questions about the above, please contact the County 4-H Office at 209-385-7418.
Age Requirement Policies
Youth Membership Age Levels
There are different age levels of 4-H YDP participation and involvement. Youth are eligible to participate in 4-H if they meet the following criteria:
- Junior (9-10 years old), Intermediate (11-13 years old), and Senior Members (14-19): Must be 9 years old by December 31st of the program year and may continue in the program until December 31st of the year in which they become 19 years of age.
- Primary (Clover) Members: Must be 5 years old by December 31st of the program year. Youth enrolling or turning nine on or after January 1 must participate as a primary member until June 30th. Primary members can only sign up for the primary member project.
- Special Needs Members: Participants who are older than nineteen may be enrolled in 4-H special education programs with the approval of the county 4-H YDP staff.
Age Requirements for Adult Volunteers
- An individual must be 18 years or older to become a 4-H volunteer.
- An adult volunteer cannot simultaneously be a 4-H youth member.
- Depending on the roles and responsibilities of a volunteer position, additional age restrictions can be applied. Chaperone duties may be assigned to volunteers upon approval of the county 4-H YDP staff. Chaperones must be 21 years or older. All volunteers who serve 4-H in any capacity (project leader, camp counselor, driver, etc) must be enrolled as leaders to be covered by University liability insurance.
2019-2020 Enrollment Fees
4-H charges a per-person enrollment fee, which includes accident/illness insurance coverage for the individual while participating in 4-H activities. A portion of the fee is used at the state and county levels to support program development/implementation and staffing costs.
4-H believes strongly that all youth should have access to our programs, regardless of their financial situation. As such, families may request that the above fees be waived if they would present a barrier to their enrollment. Please speak to your Club Leader if you wish to request a waiver. Fee waivers are handled at the club level.
Membership or Project Participation Across Club/County/State Lines
Each 4-H program offers unique opportunities, and we recognize that members may wish to take advantage of projects or activities not offered in their home county or club. These arrangements must be approved by County 4-H Staff in advance using the following procedures.
Project Across Club/County/State Lines
If a particular project is not offered in a youth's home club, then they may take that project in a different club if they receive permission from the project leader, club leader, and county 4-H staff. To initiate this process, complete a Projects Across Club County or State Lines Form.
A youth may never take a project that is already offered in their home club at a different club. However, the member may change their home club if they so choose.
Request for 4-H Membership in a Neighboring County
In general, members should enroll in the 4-H program in the county they reside in. However, if there are circumstances that make a neighboring county's program a better fit for an individual they may receive permission from the 4-H staff in the two counties involved to enroll in the neighboring county. To initiate this process, complete a Request for 4-H Membership in a Neighboring County or State.